Saturday, May 2, 2015

Visitation

This week I worked out the opportunity to visit a high schools Special Ed. I stayed there for a class period and was shown around the different rooms and classes that they take.
 

I learned that some kids spend all day in the Special ed program, and some only need one class. The classes are a mixture of grades; ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth in class together. They are taught the same things as the regular grade, but they are given more time and help to do their work. They take regular state test, but they are in a simpler form so they can understand it. Some of the kids are higher, almost to the point that they can go to regular classes. And some are lower, where they need more help than others. They get the same opportunities as other kids including sports. I learned that all the kids want are to be normal teenagers and hang out with their friends in lunch and go to sports events.


However, I also learned that home is almost like a prison. Some parents won't let their special needs go out anywhere. So some have never been a restaurant or a store. The Special Ed program takes field trips with the kids so they can experience interaction with people outside of school. Overall, this was a great way to see into the kids life and learn more about them. I was invited back anytime I wanted and maybe I get to the singing battle with the class like they wanted next time.

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool. It's not every day that these special needs children get this kind of attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you got to do this, Caitlynn! You can read about this topic all day and not learn as much as you probably did in one visit.

    ReplyDelete