Wednesday, April 8, 2015

What is Life Like for Special Needs and their Family?






If you think your life is hard, imagine the life of a special needs kid, teenager, or adult. They live everyday with a physical/mental illness and they can't do anything about it. I am starting Genius Hour at my school and I am tackling the tough subject of a special needs life. 

Being around and making special needs person smile is a very big part of my life. Every summer I go to a camp for a week and be with them 24/7 taking care of them and having fun with them. I want to go beyond the facts about their lives. Like down syndrome having a very low metabolism and not feeling the sensation of being full. Or autism having different ranges of the disease. 

I want to see how their everyday life is. What they do when they go to school, how they are when they get home, the activities they are invested in, etc.. I want to go to school with them and play out their day. I also want to interview parents of special needs. Asking how hard they can be at times and also what a blessing they are to their lives. Once a week, I'll post on here how the research is going.











 

6 comments:

  1. I love this topic! It is so sweet that you volunteer at this camp every summer and I can't wait to hear more about your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome and I'm excited about watching you go through your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very excited to see your presentation in May, Caitlynn! And good for you for setting up interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm so excited to see how this turns out. What a cool and special project to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This topic is so interesting.
    I can't wait to see everything you learn.

    ReplyDelete